Every time you get to painting a room in your house, it’s almost like you’re relearning the process all over again. Many people don’t realize that there is a real process for painting the whole room, and it is a process that starts from purchase of the paint and ends only when you have cleaned up and the paint has dried. The following are some painting tips and procedures that you should carry out before and during the painting process.
- Buying Paint
- When buying paint you should always make sure you know how big the room is. Most paint vendors will be able to know how much paint you need based on the square footage.
- Make sure you are aware of the type of paint you want to buy: oil or latex. Latex dries faster, but is more fragile and vice versa for oil.
- Buy a small amount first to test out if you like it and if the paint will stick to the wall.
- Preparing to Paint
- Cover holes and cracks where there is damage to the wall. Make sure the spackle is smoothed out after covering the hole to ensure an even coat.
- Don’t forget to take off outlet covers. Painting over outlet covers can make them difficult to remove in the future.
- Clean the walls before painting. This is an important painting tip because the paint won’t be able to grip to oily walls.
- Always remember to apply primer and let it dry before painting the area so the paint will properly adhere to the wall.
- You should always use nylon paint brushes for latex paint and natural brushes for oil based paint. When you use latex paint for natural brushes it causes damage to the bristles and they’ll no longer function.
- When painting, cover the floor with tarps or old drop cloths instead of plastic because it absorbs the paint and makes it less likely to get spread around.
- Clean Up
- Latex paint can be cleaned off with soap and water thanks to its makeup. It is completely water-based and therefore soluble in water.
- Oil-based paints require a solvent to clean off. Paint thinner is the solvent that is most often used, but you have to be careful as it can be toxic.
- Always keep a small amount of paint around in a sealed container just in case you need to make a quick spot job.
The above are just some painting tips to keep in mind when you are starting off a new project to give a room a new look. Painting in general can be stressful, so you should always make sure you are prepared before going straight in and starting to paint. Additionally, you should make sure you have the right tools for the job.
If you are unsure about the project you are about to undertake, or you are unable to carry it out, you should consider hiring painting contractors to get the job done. You should always remember to keep the room that is being painted well-ventilated as some paints contain toxic chemicals.